Monday, October 12, 2009

October 12, 2009

I got the opportunity recently to do something I haven’t done in a long time and I realized how much I miss it. Saturday night I went to Montgomery Speedway to promote the upcoming AMP Energy 500 and man was that fun. In addition to meeting some of the fans at the track, I was able to watch a little bit of the racing and hear the passion among the fans for the race officials and their favorite drivers. During one red flag, I think everyone in the stadium was passionate and was willing to share it with the crowd.

Saturday night at Montgomery Speedway was a special Late Model race that attracted a good field of cars. Fans who arrived there were probably surprised to find the car of Chase Elliott in the field. Chase is the 14-year-old son of Bill and Cindy Elliott. They raced Friday night at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola and then came up to race Montgomery on Saturday night. Bill mentioned to me recently how proud he is of Chase and his accomplishments at such an early age. He specifically talked about a race he won at Hickory earlier in the summer. Chase had a top-five finish Saturday night.

So for those who have been wondering what Bill is doing while not driving for the Wood Brothers, he’s helping his son get his career started on the short tracks around the southeast. Visit your local short tracks and support those future stars of our sport and you never know who might be there.

As for Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Auto Club Speedway what a race? Jimmie Johnson and his team continue to have something no one else appears to have in California. And wow, what about some of those late-race cautions. They say Talladega’s going to twist up the championship, I don’t think any of the 12 drivers in the Chase can relax until the checkered flag in Miami-Homestead.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if you have ever thought about providing shuttles from the campsites on the frontstretch to the Talladega short track on those race nights. I know myself and several other campers where we stay always want to go but we have been drinking most of the day and do not want to drink and drive and it is a little bit too far to walk. These are family campgrounds so I think you would get a decent amount of business by doing this. Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete