Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 8, 2009

In years past, this would be our race week. Since moving our second Sprint Cup Series date from July to October in 1997, we have typically raced in and around the second weekend of October. Since the Chase came into play, we have typically been race 4 in the 10-race Chase for the Championship, but we’re very excited about being race No. 7 this year and having a bigger play in the championship decision. And besides, they are forecasting rain for Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I have been asked since the date change, how did Talladega get a new date in the Atlanta Motor Speedway, Auto Club Speedway switch? There were several reasons for the switch. Auto Club Speedway had expressed some desire to move away from the heat of Labor Day weekend, and Atlanta Motor Speedway had an interest in the Labor Day date because of it being a holiday weekend. The two tracks couldn’t make a clean switch because that would put races on the West Coast within two weeks of each other and because of Auto Club Speedway’s early-season date in 2010. By putting Talladega in the mix, it also separated us from Atlanta Motor Speedway’s fall date, which is beneficial for both of us.

When asked to consider the date change, I was somewhat hesitant. But when we started talking about the numerous ideas that Halloween would present us, I thought it was a great idea. That’s how HALLOW-DEGA was born. Next year, the AMP Energy 500 is scheduled for Oct. 31st, so we’ll keep the HALLOW-DEGA message alive for years to come.

6 comments:

  1. Be there soon......but not soon enough. - Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the date changes. My first race was 22 years ago (7 months pregnant) and it was sooooo hot in July. As for the date change this fall, we are very excited for Hallow-Dega. I think that TSS is on track for a VERY memorable weekend. Can't wait to see everyone! Cheers to 40 years! - Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the date change was a GREAT idea. When the race was in July it was way too hot. Even for us southerners! I thought I was going to pass out I was sooo hot! Thanks Rick for everything you do. I enjoyed chatting with you at Fan Appreciation day as we were waiting in line to get on the track!. It's nice to know there's such a personable person running the show! Just wish I could be there for Hallo-DEGA!! See you in April! - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the date change to October but don't like the change to last weekend in October.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the date was changed to Halloween weekend, because this will be my first race. It is going to be awesome out there in a few weeks. I can't wait. - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better not rain,I'm flying from San Diego!
    - Harold

    ReplyDelete