Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22, 2010

By now you’ve probably heard, but if you haven’t, let me tell you again . . . Bumpdrafting is back! That’s right, NASCAR made the announcement Thursday at its annual pre-season press conference to relax its restrictions on bumpdrafting in the turns at Daytona and Talladega. Many folks, including myself, believe this will make for even more exciting racing at Talladega, if that’s possible.

I’ve been asked how does NASCAR decide to change its rule and regulations? In this case it was pretty simple, they listened to the fans. Following the AMP Energy 500 last fall, many fans voiced their opinions that the on-track activity was less than what they had come to expect. They shared those opinions with us and with NASCAR. So while in Las Vegas in December, NASCAR met with all the promoters and informed us they would have meetings with the drivers and teams to address the fans’ concerns. Thursday’s announcement, that also included a larger restrictor plate as well as replacing the wing with a spoiler, was the result of those meetings.

As one veteran said Thursday, I’m as excited as I’ve ever been about getting a season started.

So keep up the good work race fans and let us know what you’re thinking. Because as you can tell, we’re all listening.

2 comments:

  1. I think NASCAR made very good choices with these changes. Now we need everyone to continue to make good choices to have great and safe racing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if anything it won't make Talladega look like NASCAR's black sheep as much as it used to. I swear every time I go to Talladega I have fun at the track but when I get home everyone is the media is bitching about the place! I think if we got rid of the guys at Fox, ESPN, and others and replaced those lousy commentators with some real NASCAR fans the sport would be in so much better shape. Those guys in the NASCAR media are just so brainless and snobs it drives me nuts :(

    ReplyDelete