Friday, November 13, 2009

November 13, 2009

I had a great opportunity Thursday to talk with a group of students from Troy University. They were part of the Health and Physiology Club from the university and all of them had something in common – an interest in sports.

I could tell by some of the questions, that some of these young adults have an interest in NASCAR racing and even an interest in maybe one day working in the sport. Which brings me to a question I get asked pretty frequently ‘how did you get started in the sport?’

There are certainly different paths to take and it also depends on what path you want to take. To be a driver, the path likely will be different from someone wanting to get into the public relations side of the business. For me, the direction I took went through the public relations department at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Through an internship at Charlotte, I was able learn some valuable lessons, as well as make some contacts that still help me today. That certainly was a great opportunity that I was afforded.

As I told the group from Troy Thursday no matter what their desires might be, if internships or opportunities come up, take advantage up them and put all of your effort into it. You never know where it might lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment